Our Roots

The history of the congregation at Main and Oklahoma can be traced back to 1908, when Henry Rains came to the McAlester area to do mission work among the native population. Results of this effort have been lost in history, but he found several members of the church in McAlester, and they began to meet regularly in homes. As the church grew, it met in several local buildings, including the Odd Fellow’s Hall, a millinery shop, and an old Methodist building.

‍ ‍

   The first meeting place was built in 1924. A larger meeting place was soon needed, and the church purchased the Busby Theatre and Opera House at 2nd Street and Washington Avenue in 1932. It had first and second floor balconies, with seating for about 850, and was renovated to include a baptistry, 23 classrooms, a library, nursery, kitchen, fellowship/workroom, and offices.

      The current building on the corner of South Main Street and Oklahoma Avenue was built in 1979, with the family life annex being added in the mid-1990’s.